Saturday, March 22, 2008

Online piano lessons?

With so much technology out there nowadays, almost anything is possible -- including piano lessons from an instructor who lives in another state from you. It's been about four years since I've graduated with my degree in Music and sadly, four years without an instructor to keep me on my toes. I have a decent background in music performance and theory and I am looking for a teacher that can expand my repertoire, share some fresh ideas with me, and teach me how to use what I already know. So, thanks to the wonderful world of YouTube, I discovered a guy named Duane Shinn who has a huge marketing plan for piano lessons of all levels and styles going on over at playpiano.com. I checked him out, looked for reviews, and was led to other people with a similar business. The idea of utilizing online piano lessons for myself is actually intruiging. I can pay for the lessons and take them at my leisure in the midst of my busy schedule and possibly even email or phone the instructor if I have any questions. What a brilliant idea! I have also looked into jazzpianolessons.com, which, to me, seems like something along the lines of my interest. Has anyone out there tried any of these services? If so, please do share your experiences, reviews, and what music background you come from.

1 comment:

West Mountain Piano Studio said...

I am a serious classical musician, teacher and a jazz wannabe. I tried the jazzpianolesson.com free trial and loved it. So much so that I signed up for the premium gold year long membership and the lessons are terrific. I highly recommend them to anyone who is a self-starter and I am very discriminating about what I like. I write about my experience on my blog, www.anniehudnut.blogspot.com. Hope this is helpful. Cheers. Annie